Saturday, December 4, 2010

Wow, I have completely ignored my blog for a very long time. The car is completed. I drove it quite a bit this summer. I kept having a nagging issue with motor. It had an of throttle backfire that I could not get rid of. I kept thinking it was leaky exhaust header issue. It got progressively worse, to the point that on hard throttle it would start missing at @ 5ooo rpm. I got frustrated and decided I was going to find the source of the problem once and for all.

I started out by replacing ignition wires. Did not help. So I decided to perform a compression test. Really bad news. Only 80-85 psi in cylinders 1,2, and4. Number 3 cylinder had absolutely no compression. Ran a leak down test and it confirmed the compression results. Time to tear engine down.

After tear down, I discovered # 3 piston was broken. Game plan: New 10:1 CR pistons and liners. Complete bottom end rebuild. High performance cams and complete head rebuild. Pics to follow

No comments: